Disclaimer: Devoted Grandma is reader-supported. If you purchase anything through my site, I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you). It helps keep the site alive, so thank you.
“Life happens, pizza helps!“
Here’s a fun and easy recipe that’s sure to delight your grandchildren: Homemade Mini Pizzas. This recipe encourages kids to get involved in the kitchen by customizing their own pizza with their favorite toppings. Plus, who doesn’t love a pizza party? 😉
For the Pizza Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water (110°F)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the Toppings:
- 1 cup pizza sauce (Grandma’s secret recipe?)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Your choice of toppings: pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, olives, etc.
- You can allow the grandkids to choose anything they want here that’s a little more out of the ordinary. Just remind them they’ll want to eat it! Maybe little chopped-up bits of hotdog?
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, active dry yeast, salt, and sugar. Add the warm water and olive oil to the dry ingredients, and mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rest for 30 minutes in a warm, draft-free area. (This is a great step for the grandchildren to get involved and pound the dough!)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the rested dough into 8 equal portions. On a floured surface, roll out each portion into a small, round pizza crust, about 1/4-inch thick.
- Transfer the mini pizza crusts to the prepared baking sheets. Spread a thin layer of pizza sauce on each crust, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Set up a topping station with bowls of shredded cheese and your choice of additional toppings. Encourage the grandchildren to customize their pizzas by adding their favorite toppings.
- Bake the mini pizzas in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the mini pizzas from the oven, let them cool slightly, and then serve. Enjoy a fun, interactive meal with your grandchildren, and watch their excitement as they create and eat their own delicious homemade pizzas!
And that’s it! A spontaneous pizza party that won’t cost an arm and a leg and allows the grandkids to feel involved by pounding some dough and decorating their own personal pies with whatever toppings they wish (within reason, of course!). If you thought you were popular before, Grandma, just wait until you propose this idea on a Friday night! 🙂