Disclaimer: Devoted Grandma is reader-supported. If you purchase anything through my site, I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you). Thank you.
It’s that time of year again: The temperatures are FINALLY cooling, the leaves are changing, and football season is in full swing. That’s right, my fellow Devoted Grandmas – it is fall! Do you, too, love this brisk and beautiful time of year? I cannot get enough of it and want to soak up this lovely season and time with my grandkids.
Do you want to make sweet fall-themed memories with your grandbabies?
While you can’t go wrong with really anything, I wanted to compile a fall bucket list of sorts with grandchild-friendly ideas and activities, beginning with:
- Leaf-Peeping Picnic: Pack a basket with autumn treats and head to the nearest park to marvel at the changing leaves.
- Apple Picking Adventure: Find a local orchard and let the apple (or two) fall from the tree.
- DIY Scarecrows: Gather old clothes, hay, and creativity. A fun addition to any garden!
- Haunted Gingerbread Houses: Like the Christmas version, but spookier.
- Pumpkin Carving: Classic. Don’t forget to roast the seeds!
- Corn Maze Challenges: Who can find their way out the fastest?
- Homemade Apple Cider: Freshly pressed and spiced to perfection.
- Candle Making: Choose fall scents like cinnamon, clove, and apple.
- Nature’s Art: Create masterpieces with fallen leaves, acorns, and pinecones.
- Homemade Halloween Costumes: Craft a costume together, making memories in the process.
- Bake Off: Make apple pies, pumpkin muffins, or whatever autumn delight you fancy.
- Blanket Fort Movie Nights: Watch Halloween classics or heartwarming fall favorites.
- Farm Day: Visit a local farm and pet the animals, or maybe even milk a cow!
- Firepit Storytelling: Share tales from your past or spooky stories under the stars.
- Foliage Art: Press colorful leaves between pages of a book. Later, use them in crafts.
- Hayrides: A quintessential fall activity!
- Bobbing for Apples: A splashy, giggly challenge.
- Pinecone Bird Feeders: Cover in peanut butter, dip in seeds, and watch the birds come.
- Halloween Dance Party: Dress up and dance those spooky wiggles out.
- DIY Fall Wreaths: Use natural materials to create a front door masterpiece.
- Acorn Crafts: Paint them, make jewelry, or turn them into cute little critter creations.
- Pumpkin Patch Visit: Choose the perfect pumpkin and capture those Instagram-worthy moments.
- Cooking Together: Make warm soups or spicy fall treats.
- Fall Photo Shoot: Capture the essence of the season with your grandkids.
- Pumpkin Seed Art: Paint and place them into unique designs.
- Nature Hikes: Explore local trails and enjoy the crisp air.
- Craft Fest: Make paper turkeys, leaf rubbings, and other fall-themed crafts.
- Gourd Bowling: Set up pins and use gourds as quirky bowling balls.
- Outdoor Movie Night: Set up a projector and watch a film on the side of the house.
- Stargazing: Find constellations on clear fall nights.
- S’mores Galore: Because…why not?
- Raking Races: Make piles of leaves. Jumping in them is mandatory!
- Farmers Market Day: Explore local produce and pick out something new to try.
- Halloween Decor DIY: Craft spooky decorations for the whole house.
- Marshmallow Roasting: Golden brown or fully charred? You decide!
- Warm Beverage Bar: Hot chocolate, apple cider, and teas to warm up.
- Write & Perform a Play: Maybe it’s about the first Thanksgiving or a haunted house mystery.
- Gratitude Journaling: Reflect on what you’re both thankful for.
- Scavenger Hunt: Make a list of fall items and see who can find them all first.
- Outdoor Game Day: Cornhole, ladder toss, or even just a spirited game of catch.
What are you waiting for? Roll up those sleeves, grab that pumpkin-spiced latte, and jump into an unforgettable fall season filled with memories, laughter, and endless grandkid cuddles. Happy fall from your friend, Devoted Grandma.